"Superhumans come in all forms. In this case, they have arrived in the form of Andrea Casarrubios, Shostakovich and Van Gogh" - ABC Classic, Best Classical Music Albums 2019
"With this album (Caminante), Andrea Casarrubios, with great sensitivity and compositional imagination, has taken music and emotions closer to the ears of people who dwell upon this planet Earth." - Michael Thallium: Andrea Casarrubios, The Wayfarer Of The Strings and The World
“Casarrubios’ Speechless at times was an exploration of the timbres of the cello and bowed vibraphone, at others of rhythmic and melodic energy. The playing was elegant and dramatic.” - The New York Classical Review
"SEVEN is a gorgeous work. I have never heard a more beautiful solo cello piece" - Thomas Mesa, Strings Magazine
"A wide range of works that take you in with interpretations in which the cellist plays the lead role. (The album) is authentic and fascinating through Andrea Casarrubios' expressive, virtuoso, powerful and elegant game." - Jan de Kruijff, Musikalifeiten
COMPOSITIONS, RECORDINGS, SCORES:
- Amid a place of stone (2020) is a work for solo violin commissioned by Emily Daggett Smith and funded by the Hudson Arts Program, Douglas Cherno, and the Andy Warhol Foundation. This piece, conceived during the 2020 pandemic and the ensuing crisis in the performing arts, combines nocturne and passacaglia elements, and traverses a range of phases within the subjects of isolation, vulnerability, and survival. 8'
- SEVEN (2020) for solo cello. Commissioned by Astral Artists and cellist Thomas Mesa for his project Songs of Isolation, SEVEN is a tribute to the essential workers during the global COVID - 19 pandemic, as well as to those who lost lives and are still suffering from the crisis. The piece ends with seven bell-like sounds, alluding to New York's daily 7 PM tribute during the lockdown - the moment when New Yorkers clapped from their windows, connecting with each other and expressing appreciation for those on the front lines. Recording: Thomas Mesa, Sphinx & Four/Ten Media. 9'
- ...in the age of noise (2020) for string trio. Premiered online during the lockdown in Philadelphia by "Quarantrio" (members of the Dover and Escher String Quartets), this short piece was commissioned by Manhattan Chamber Players, Daniel Anastasio, and Brendan Speltz for a project called "MCP's Sketchbook: Quarantine Art in the Making" - The opening gestures are like breaths, and silence is one of the music's main elements in this work. 3'
- MIRAGE for cello and orchestra (2019) is a cello concerto in three movements written for Orquesta Sinfónica Iuventas. The premiere took place in October 2019 at Auditorio Nacional in Madrid (Spain). Instrumentation: Mvt 1: 3 perc--strings--solo cello. Mvt 2: harp--pno--solo cello. Cadenza: solo cello--1perc. Mvt 3: 2122--2222--3 perc--harp--pno--strings--solo cello. 17'
- Mensajes del agua (2019) for cello and piano is a meditative work inspired by the shapes that water can achieve. The title comes from the book "Messages in water" by Japanese scientist Masaru Emoto. 3'
- La Libertad se levantó llorando / Liberty rose weeping (2017) for violin, cello, and pre-recorded text. The work was written for violinist Emily Daggett Smith, and premiered at National Sawdust in New York City on February 18th, 2018. The poem is by Pablo Neruda, and the words are used as resonance for the never-ending global fight for freedom and human rights. The music is filled with the strength and the vulnerability of those words. Recording: Odradek Records. 13'
- Crisol: Improvisations on a theme by Haydn (2018) for piano. Crisol is based on motives from the Sonata No. 39 in D major by J. Haydn. The improvisations begin with Andrea's own harmonic and textural language, to soon melt into a musical world from the Romantic era. The music walks through a jazz-like moment to then unveil the purity and simplicity of the Classicism, with the second movement of Haydn’s Sonata No. 39, which is harmonically linked to his last movement, the Finale. Recording: Odradek Records. 7'
- 24 Mozas (2017) for cello and piano. 24 Mozas is a short piece inspired by the folk song from Toro (Zamora) "Tío Babú". US Premiere: New York, October 2017. The European Premiere took place in Spain, January 2018: Teatro Latorre (Toro). 4'
- luzAzul (2016) is a passacaglia for Piano Trio. This work was composed for a project entitled Passacaglia: Walking the Streets of Time. The piece was premiered in Baltimore in 2017 and written for Trio Appassionata's 10th year anniversary. In this music, luz azul (blue light) is tied to the sound of a C sharp. This tone, almost like a scent, swirls among the gestures of the piece, enveloping every element, and from first to last, is the seed from which everything blossoms. Recording: WFMT radio. 8'
- Speechless (2015) for cello and percussion (vibraphone, cymbal, marimba). The work was written for Ensemble ACJW (now known as Ensemble Connect). The piece was born out of the question: “What does it mean to have a voice?” In this work, the performers embark on a playful, yet desperate search. At its core, it is an experience based on a non-verbal discussion between the inner voices of one’s self.The premiere of Speechless was presented by Carnegie Hall at National Sawdust in New York City on March 29, 2016. Recording: Odradek Records. 13'
- Caminante (2014) for cello and choir. The text is from Antonio Machado's poem Caminante, which talks of someone who walks through a non-existing path, creating it by taking steps forward. The music is meditative, mystical, intuitive, welcoming the uncertainty of the future with humility but with confidence. Premiere: Spain 2015. Recording: Odradek Records. 8'
- Maktub (2013) for three cellos. This trio in two movements was written in Los Angeles for the VI Boccherini Festival in Spain. All of the new sonorities and concepts learned during travels to Asia and the Americas coexist with the classical music tradition. In particular, Maktub ends with a reference to the last movement of Beethoven's Piano Sonata Op. 109. Recording of Maktub: Odradek Records. 6'
All scores are available in digital format only. A PDF will be sent to your Paypal primary email address as soon as the payment has been processed. Please allow a few hours for us to receive the request and send you an email with the score. More recordings are available upon request. Please use the contact page for any questions you may have. Thank you!